Two-storey black basalt stone main station building.
Barracks block constructed around a colonnaded courtyard.
Well at the rear of the barracks block.
Water tower with a stone channel leading to a small birka (water cistern).
The main station building at Hafira. The depot was one of the first targets of the Arabs during the war, but could not be taken, owing to the armoured trains used by the defenders
On 8th June 1916, two days after the outset of the Arab Revolt, a small group under Prince Faisal advanced towards Hafira. The aim was to capture the station and continue northwards along the railway to attack Buwat. However, Faisal was forced to abandon the attack owing to the fact that his Bedouin force was unable to oppose the armoured trains employed by the Turks. Instead, the force returned to Medina, where an unsuccessful attempt to take the city was carried out.
In January 1918, a force under Prince Ali (Sherif Hussein's eldest son) destroyed a bridge between Hafira and Buwat.
The stone channel at the rear of the tower filled a cistern, which was used to water pack animals
Rail with inscription to Sultan Abdulhamid II. It has now disappeared from the station
The large barracks block at Hafira Station, 32 kilometres north-west of Medina, is now fenced off to protect the building from vandalism and graffiti
Decorative arches used around the open courtyard of the barracks block
The station was built from locally quarried black basalt stone blocks