The main station building looking southwards towards Medina on the other side of the hills
Strategically important station built only 14 km. north of Medina.
Two-storey station building constructed from local black basalt stone.
Large barracks block on the west side of the line, able to accommodate a garrison of over 100 men.
Fortified defence post on a hill to the north of the main station building.
Stone watchtower on a hill 200 m. to the north of the station.
Muhit Station was constructed using a high quality black basalt stone which was available locally in large quantities
When I first visited Muhit Station 25 years ago, it was nestled quietly in the hills to the north of Medina. The recent rapid urban expansion of the city has now encroached upon the area, with roads and villas being constructed nearby and enormous electricity pylons standing out against the skyline in the hills to the south. The station buildings are protected with gates and metal fences, but there is a large amount of rubble and litter scattered about the site.
Muhit was the first station to the north of Medina. Owing to its strategic importance, a large barracks block was constructed for a garrison of over 100 men
On 8th June 1916, two days after Sherif Hussein declared the Arab Revolt against the Ottomans, an Arab force attacked the railway at Muhit. Being the closest station to Medina, it was heavily garrisoned. As well as the station buildings, there was a large barracks blockhouse and a fortified defence post on a nearby ridge. The Bedouin force opened the fighting with a heavy barrage of fire from their positions in the surrounding hills. At the same time, another group advanced towards the station across open ground. The Turks however, safe behind their strong defences and armed with machine guns, had little difficulty in repulsing the attack. When a relief force of infantry under General Fakhri Pasha arrived from Medina, the Bedouin had no alternative but to disperse and retire into the safety of the hills.
In October 1917, the French Captain Laurent Depui carried out a reconnaissance of Muhit and reported that the station's garrison had been strongly reinforced.
A stone defence post was established on a hill 200 metres from the main station building to watch over the northern approaches
A defence post on a small hill overlooking the main station building
The ruined interior of the stone defence post overlooking the station